We are a London Living Wage employer
Proud to be a member of BCAN.
Advice4Renters (A4R) is the only advice organisation in London for private renters. Our goal is to transform the private renting sector through legal advice services for tenants, as well as through campaigning – telling policy makers what the problems are and what can be done to solve them.
We welcome all who support our objectives and we want to work with you. Please join us or make a donation.
- To support and advise tenants
- To educate and inform tenants
- To represent and bring tenants together
- To empower tenants
- To improve local, regional and national housing strategies
- To influence legislative change
Find out more about our work:
Advice4Renters is the trading name of the former Brent Private Tenants Rights Group, a registered Charity No 1051979. See our previous annual reports.
Advice4Renters Charter for Private Renters
For private tenants, the house or flat they rent is their home – just as much as if they owned it or rented from the council or a housing association. Like all homes, a private tenant's home should be affordable, decent and properly managed:
- Rents should give the landlord a reasonable, not an excessive, return on the investment
- Benefit levels should be realistic and reflect the actual cost of renting
- Private renters should not be penalised by insurance companies, utility companies, etc
- Homes should be habitable, safe and comfortable
- Landlords should be required to maintain their properties and to meet environmental standards such as energy efficiency
- No overcrowding
- Landlords and tenants should fulfil their mutual rights and responsibilities
- Tenants should be protected from victimisation for asserting their rights
- Councils should have and use the power to take over properties from rogue landlords
Privately rented housing is different from home ownership or social renting, but it should not be worse!